Aaron Tippin to perform at 'Valentines For Veterans' concert Feb. 15 | Arts & Culture
POPLAR BLUFF, MO (KFVS) - The John J. Pershing VA Medical Center in Poplar Bluff has revealed that country music artist, Aaron Tippin will be the featured entertainer at next year’s Third Annual “Valentines For Veterans” Concert.
The event will take place on Friday, Feb. 15 at 7 p.m., at the Black River Coliseum in Poplar Bluff.
Tippin’s hits include ''My Blue Angel,'' ''That's As Close As I'll Get to Loving You,'' and ''I Wouldn't Have It Any Other Way.'' He boasts five certified gold albums, one platinum, and three number-one hits.
Tippin has crusaded for the working man and woman since he took country music by storm in 1990 with his uncompromising “You’ve Got to Stand for Something.”
Bob Hope invited Tippin to appear with him when he toured the Mideast, entertaining the troops of Desert Storm. Tippin has been a favorite of America’s fighting forces ever since. He has continued his support of Veterans by participating in Valentines for Veterans Concerts and visiting hospitalized Veterans.
During the first Gulf War in 1990, Aaron Tippin became the first singer to go to Saudi Arabia to entertain the troops. In 2002 he went to Afghanistan. Since 2003, he has been making annual visits to our forces in Iraq and become the spokesman for the Paralyzed Veterans of America. In 2005 he became the first country artist to donate funds to the victims of Hurricane Katrina.
The Department of Veterans Affairs and Help Hospitalized Veterans have established goals for the “Valentines for Veterans” concert series. They include:
- Showing appreciation to all of America's Veterans
- Increasing awareness in the community of the Poplar Bluff VA
- Encouraging citizens to visit hospitalized Veterans and consider becoming a volunteer
- Educating the public on issues facing Veterans and their families
- Showing respect and appreciation to America's Gold Star families (families that have lost service members as a result of combat)
- Promoting volunteerism
No admission will be charged to attend this concert because the price has already been paid by the sacrifices of America’s Veterans. Tickets are required and will be available beginning in January of 2013.
Tickets will be distributed on a first-come-first-served basis with four priorities of ticket distribution: Gold Star family members, Veterans, families of Veterans and the general public. A limited number of tickets will be available to the public at the Poplar Bluff Area Chamber of Commerce beginning January 2013 to the public.
Copyright 2013 KFVS. All rights reserved.
Top Butler County Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- State Treasurer Clint Zweifel returns unclaimed property, including to Southeast Mo.
- Old Town Cape announces 'Christmas Fun for Everyone' as 2013 Parade of Lights theme
- 1 dead after crash on LaSalle St. in Cape Girardeau
- Gov. Nixon proclaims May 18 National Kids to Parks Day
- Benefactors enhance décor at CJHS Tiger Fieldhouse