6 conferences to be held in Mo. to help churches prepare for disaster recovery | Events
CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO (KFVS) - Gov. Jay Nixon's Faith-Based and Community Service Partnership for Disaster Recovery will hold six regional conferences around the state from April 24 to May 4.
The program will provide some advice for churches and other religious communities to prepare for the time after a large-scale disaster, and the best ways to be prepared in advance for a possible disaster. Religious and volunteer leaders from Joplin who continue to lead the community's recovery efforts will speak about their real world experiences. The program will also include information on:
- Responding to the emotional and spiritual challenges of disasters
- The role of religious leaders in response and recovery efforts
- The support to faith communities available from the Missouri National Guard Chaplain Corps
- How to organize and maximize volunteers for disaster response and recovery
- Preparing for the management of mass donations
- Preparing a religious facility for sheltering
- Organizing long-term recovery efforts
Also, the National Weather Service and the State Emergency Management Agency will make presentations on severe weather forecasting and warnings, evacuating sanctuaries and gymnasiums during severe weather and safe sheltering.
Conference dates and locations include:
- Jefferson City - Bible Baptist Church, 4730 Country Club Drive, Jefferson City, Mo. 65109. April 24 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Cape Girardeau - Saint Francis Medical Center, 211 Saint Francis Drive, Cape Girardeau, Mo. 63703. April 26 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- St. Louis (Webster Groves) - Eden Theological Seminary, 475 East Lockwood Avenue, Webster Groves, Mo. 63119. April 27 from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. (At this location, following lunch, all are invited to participate in a group discussion and practical simulation of how a faith community would react to a tornado that struck during religious services. This portion of the program will end at 2:15 p.m.)
- Springfield - Remington's, 1655 West Republic Road, Springfield, Mo. 65810. May 1 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Kansas City (Lee's Summit) - Crown Pointe Church, 5950 Northeast Lakewood Way, Lee's Summit, Mo. 64064. May 3 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- St. Joseph - Huffman United Methodist Church, 2802 Renick Street, Saint Joseph, Mo. 64507. May 4 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
You can register online for the program by e-mailing email@example.com or call Aren Koenig at 573-526-9410. They ask that you please provide your name, title, contact phone number, e-mail address and the organization with which you are affiliated. You can also let them know of any accommodations you may require, including dietary.
Copyright 2012 KFVS. All rights reserved.