Man accused of beating parents with baseball bat pleads not guilty | News
POPLAR BLUFF, MO (KFVS)- A Poplar Bluff man pleaded not guilty and waived his arraignment in court Thursday after allegedly beating his parents with a baseball bat.
Police say 27-year-old Matthew Jenkins initially lied to them about what happened to his parents. Later, police say he confessed to the beating.
Prosecutors charged him with two counts of assault and armed criminal action.
According to the probable cause statement, Jenkins hit his parents multiple times in the head.
At last check, both were still in critical condition.
Jenkins's bond is set at $1 million cash only. He was assigned a public defender.
Jenkins is due back in court on Feb. 11 at 1 p.m. for a preliminary hearing.
Copyright 2013 KFVS. All rights reserved.
Top Butler County Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- State Treasurer Clint Zweifel returns unclaimed property, including to Southeast Mo.
- Old Town Cape announces 'Christmas Fun for Everyone' as 2013 Parade of Lights theme
- 1 dead after crash on LaSalle St. in Cape Girardeau
- Gov. Nixon proclaims May 18 National Kids to Parks Day
- Benefactors enhance décor at CJHS Tiger Fieldhouse